Love them - Teach them...Day by Day

Love them - Teach them...Day by Day
Trying to keep my memories in tact for my kids

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Maybe now?

I keep telling myself I need to get back on and update this and keep it updated. Maybe now I will. It's been long enough, 17 1/2 months. A lot has happened since the last post. We had our second child, a girl who we named Rylee. She was born on Sept 26th (her uncle's 29th birthday) weighing 8lbs 4oz. Syd and Rylee are wonderful together at times, and bicker at other times. Like most sisters I'm sure. I think at the time of my last post I was about a week and a half out from surgery. I think at that point, I was still scared that it might be a girl. I was scared of having two daughters. I was scared that they would have too much rivalry and not be friends. Then one day, I was shopping at Target. I saw an outfit and thought, wouldn't it be cute to have them have matching outfits. And with that, I was at peace with having a girl. A simple thing like an outfit. I don't even remember what outfit it was, or even if I bought it. But it calmed me.

5 Months after Rylee was born, I found out we were pregnant again. We did want to have a child sooner rather than later, but this was a shock to us. But we were ready for it. We found out the day after my birthday. Two days later I woke up in the middle of the night and was miscarrying. I didn't even know how far along we were. Joel and I discussed it and decided that the timing was right and we were going to try again. Amazingly enough, we got pregnant again the next cycle.

The baby was due around the middle of December. Everything was going fine with tthe pregnancy, just like Sydney's and Rylee's. September 19th we headed down to Vancouver to see Dan and Heather and help celebrate Dan's 30th birthday. We had fun at a nearby park. I started having contraction. Since I never really had them with the other two, I thought they were braxton hicks contractions. I sat down and rested the rest of the time. We got ready to head back and they still were going so I timed them in the car. 2 minutes on the dot. Got back to Dan and Heather's house and I went to the bathroom. I was spotting. Not a lot, but enough. We decided instead of staying the night, we'd drive back home and talk to my doctor. Doctor said turn around and go to the nearest hospital.

Salmon Creek Legacy here we come. And stayed. For 3 nights.

Copy and pasted this from Joel:
L&D (Labor and Delivery) checked Mickey out and said that the baby was all good, however, she was having contractions at a regular rate. Every other sign of a baby wanting out wasn't there, so it was determined that the contractions needed to stop.

The first med didn't work, and the second one was also having no effect. I don't quite remember what those meds were called, but Mickey has all that paperwork and can add that in later. The 3rd med to try was what they called the "big guns" - magnesium sulfate. It was to be given over the course of two days, and then the following 48 hours were when they would watch to see that it had worked and the contractions had stopped.

This was all Saturday. We were both scared, confused, worried, and probably lots of other things that I can't find words for right now. Mick's folks were also down, and they, along with Dan and Heather (they live in Vancouver - helpful) took our daughters to their house to get some good rest.

Mickey and I both rested as much as we could Saturday night. We were tired from the events of the day, and even though we'd rather have our daughters with us, it was nice to get a decent rest without being kicked in the head during the night, unlike Dan :)

Sunday morning came and we were happy to see that the contractions had slowed down a LOT. It wasn't a complete stoppage, but I think at one point there was a least 20 minutes between a few contractions - HUGE improvement.

I was found that when Mickey and/or the baby was sleeping, the contractions would slow down / stop. Excellent. This also meant that during the night, Mickey and the baby sleeping gave the uterus a chance to calm down / heal.

The chances of us using terms like "emergency delivery" and "NICU" have gone WAY down, which is very nice. Our biggest concern today, Sunday, was to keep ourselves entertained. Luckily, family was here, I have my laptop, and there is a TV in the room with cable. Sweet.

Since the meds need time to go through her system, and then the wait period needs time as well - we're looking at being able to head back north Tuesday night - if EVERYTHING GOES WELL. Any hiccup in the plan would cause our stay down here to be longer.

Mickey was just allowed to eat, finally, since Saturday around 1:00pm, and it's now Sunday at 5:30pm. Dinner is, in her words, "actually pretty good." If I would have gone that long between meals, I probably would think the same thing :)

We got to leave Tuesday morning, drove non-stop up north and I ended up with an appt that afternoon. No restrictions but just to take it easy. Though, that didn't last long.

October 2nd, I started bleeding and contracting again so off we went to the hospital, though it was my hospital. Joel fainted because of no food and lack of sleep. Admitted again, but we both got wheeled up to the room. Got an MRI, and other tests. They determined that I didn't have accreda (placenta growing into the uterine wall) but most likely I had an abruption (Placenta tearing away from the wall). I was put on modified bedrest. Need a nanny - Enter Jaimie. I came home (yay!) the night before she started for us. She was wonderful with our kids. With me.

Honestly, I'm not sure on all these dates now. Amazing. But we had so many trips to L&D that 4 months later, they have all merged together.

But on November 14th, around 1:30, I started to bleed. A lot. 911 was called and I was taken to the hospital. Jaimie was amazing. She calmed the girls as much as possible, called everyone, made sure things were okay. For this, I am forever in her debt. Joel met us at the hospital after going 90 on 405 and passing a porshe. We were taken into Triage found out my doctor was out sick. I had another doctor from the office though and he was great. He said we should take the baby now, even though I was a day shy of 35 weeks. The baby would go to the NICU. My parents arrived and my mom was allowed back. About 2 hours after I started bleeding, our son David was born, at 35 weeks, weighing 7 lbs and was 20 inches long. David spent 10 days in the NICU getting his breathing regulated and learning to eat, but has done amazing since being home. He is now 3 1/2 months old, weighs almost 14 lbs.

Now, I promise it won't be another 17 months until the next one...

No comments: